MCE setup on Gateway m275 TabletPC

I posted about being able to get the video driver to finally install. Here is the reason I needed it to work and how I am going to attempt to get MCE working with this machine.


Goal: Mount this old laptop under kitchen cabinet and use Windows 7 Media Center for interaction


This is what I want the machine to be able to do:

1. Search the internet specifically www.allrecipes.com which my wife uses a lot for doing cooking

2. Listen to Music and possibly integrate with squeeze server already running on our Windows Home Server.

3. Watch TV


That is the minimum at this point. I don’t know if the machine has enough power for this functionality on first test. I own an HDHomeRun that has dual digital tuners and on first try this morning, the machine couldn’t hack it. It would try to fire up the TV and just spin. It may have been a couple of things, which I will need to experiment with further.


I am going to hopefully use Windows Media Center for the interface to all of these things. Music and TV are well suited for Media Center. The web on the other hand may be a little difficult and I don’t know if there is a plugin yet for this.


Interacting with the machine will be OK. Unfortunately it is not touch sensitive so it does require the stylus. Minor inconvenience at this time I believe.


Here are my findings thus far.

  • Squeezebox Integration - does not exist that I can find
  • Pandora - does not have a plugin at this time
  • Web Browsing -I am going to try http://kylo.tv


Kylo.tv - This is a 10 foot web interface for use on your TV.

Integration of Kylo into Media Center http://www.hack7mc.com/2010/03/can-kylo-bring-browsing-to-the-big-screen.html


Here is my original post over at thegreenbutton: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/89078/451852.aspx#451852


EDIT: After some attempts to get windows 7 to work it is really pretty darn slow. I am going to try one further time and follow this post to try and strip Windows 7 down as much as possible. Also, i am going to run to best buy to see if i can buy a stick of 1gig memory as I only have 512 in this currently. (I know the minimum specs is 1gig but I didn't have any pc2700 laying around)


Here is what I am going to follow to try and get this working a bit better on this machine:

http://www.computingunleashed.com/2009/06/speed-up-windows-7-ultimate-guide-to.html

There are some good suggestions here that I did not do. We will see how this works when done.


0 comments:

Post a Comment